13 Soccer Referee Axioms
National Referee Instructor & Assessor
Western Maryland Soccer Officials Association
"The following 13 axioms are derived from my 42+ years of
experience as a Referee, Instructor, and Assessor. I have come across
certain TRUTHS or POSTULANTS that are most meaningful for soccer
referees throughout the ages: be it in the 60s all the way to the new
century. Simple, beautiful truths do NOT change with time, but the
use/misuse will have profound meaning & learning accumulation for any
referee (at any level, throughout his refereeing career)."
Austin Gomez, 2003
1. Teams DECIDE... how the game will be played; Referee...
DECIDES how the
game will be called.
2. "QUICK" free-kicks... belong to the Players; the "Ceremonial" free-kicks...
belong to the Referee.
3. Players may... DOUBT what the Referee may say but will never...
the referee does.
4. If the Referee does not exact JUSTICE, the Players will!
5. FITNESS of the... Referee is great; but, more important, the...
must run for a purpose.
6. Referees may have... IMPERFECTIONS, but they should never be...
7. 'The Game' of soccer... is the best TEACHER.
8. Coaches have PRIVILEGES while... Players have
9. The OUTCOME of every game depends upon the performance of the
and the Crew.
10. Players will do... EXACTLY what the... Referee will allow.
11. The 'BENEFIT-of-DOUBT' should go to the 'attacking team'.
12. Once the game begins, the Referee becomes a MANAGER.
13. Players... WATCH the ball; the Referee... WATCHES players.
Nota Bene: SOCCER is a
SIMPLE game for CLEVER people! Hence,
"Refereeing is Thinking" -
"COGITO ERGO SUM ARBITER!"